Blog conference season is in full bloom right now, and BlogHer, which is arguably the big daddy of all conferences, will be taking Chicago by storm this week!
Y’all, we love Chicago. The Windy City. Home of County General and Dr. Doug Ross. (What? Don’t even try to tell us that was a fictional hospital).
Sadly, though, despite our love of Chicago style pizza and all things BlogHer related, we are not going to be in attendance this year.
Excuse us while we go back to crying into our pillows and cursing the universe for not getting us that winning Powerball ticket when we really needed it.
Next year. Oh, we are going next year. Mark our words, we will be at BlogHer 2014 even if we have to scrape together our blogging
pennies riches to make the trip!
Until then, we will just console ourselves by participating in the best blog link up on earth…Listicles! When Stasha suggested the topic “10 things you buy each week”, we knew we were in! But still, we have blogging conferences on our minds, so we decided to do 10 things you buy each week (if you are going to a blogging conference)…
1. Business Cards: If you have an awesome blog partner like I do, she will whip some up on UPrinting.com faster than you can finish watching the lastest episode of Pretty Wicked Moms. Make sure you get plenty of cards, since handing out business cards at a blog conference is the adult version of asking people to sign your yearbook.
Next year, these are going to be handed out left and right!
2. Camera: Even if you just bring your smartphone (if, say unlike me, you actually have one), you will want to have a way to capture moments throughout your experience and immediately share them with the world via social media. Blog conferences always have their own hashtag on Twitter, and nothing is better than knowing you are a part of making a hashtag trend!
3. Blogging Notebook: You are going to want to take notes and lots of them. Many people will do it on their laptops or iPads, but we both prefer an old-fashioned notebook. It gives you the ability to jot ideas down quickly and also depending on where you are sitting in the conference room, you can turn your chair to face the speaker. Not always possible if you are attempting to type your notes.
Is that a threat or a promise?!
4. Pens: In this blogging partnership,
Lisa, one of us totally has a pen preference. No digging around the junk drawer moments before walking out the door trying to find a pen with enough ink to get you through the day. She will totally hook you up with a pen. Blue ink. She’s got it! You prefer black ink? No problem. Oh, you would rather have a pencil? No worries, she has those, too!
5. Fun Jewelry/Statement Piece: You want people at a blogging conference to remember you, and let’s be honest, no one is going to remember the girl with the black top and jeans. But, they will remember the girl sporting the totally fabulous necklace with her blog’s name on it.
Best birthday gift I have ever received from the best blog partner in the world!
6. Wall Charger For Electronic Devices: With all the tweeting and sharing on social media you will be doing, your device will run out of juice during the day. However, finding an unoccupied outlet can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Want to quickly become the most popular person in the room? Bring one of these. Everyone will want to sit next to you…and while you are all charging up a storm, you can be bonding!
7. A Babysitter/Nanny/Childcare: Remember that scene from Sweet Home Alabama, where the woman has the baby in the bar? That is pretty much what it is like when you see someone pushing a stroller into a blog conference session.
8. Snacks: You don’t always know what to expect from the food at a blog conference. Sometimes it is delicious, but more likely you fear more of a rubber chicken sort of situation, so it is best to keep yourself armed with some snacks to get you through the day!
Just a few things in case we get hungry as we travel!
9. Confidence: Wait? What? Confidence? You can’t pick that up at Target alongside your travel toothpaste and extra pair of knock-off Spanx, can you? So, *technically*, this is not something you can buy for a blog conference. But, y’all, it is key to your success there. Just remember that everyone there is feeling intimidated and overwhelmed, so hold your head high and *know* that you belong.
10. Feather Boa: The quickest way to build your confidence is to let yourself look fabulous! And let’s be honest here, Dose Peeps, what says fabulous more than a feather boa? How about adding sparkly sunglasses and an amazing new, finally meeting IRL, blogging friend!
You have to be *pretty* confident to don a yellow feather boa, right?!
So, if you are headed to Chicago this week, then grab some of these items and rock the socks off BlogHer! And of course, remember to tell us all about it…don’t worry, we’ll just be over here holding down the interwebs for you!