Since our awesome blogging salaries do not afford us the opportunity to travel during national holidays (or any other time), we had to settle for a movie marathon over the long weekend. That’s just as good as a vacation (no, it’s not!). It did give us a chance to reminisce about our favorite movie moments of all time and when we wrote about them last year before the Academy Awards.
Now that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, known to the non-Hollywood types (i.e. all of us) as the Oscars, has seen fit to include 87 movies for Best Picture, instead of the old-school five, we decided the sky is the limit for us.
**Disclaimer: Some of these clips may contain language not suitable for little ears or office workplaces, so slip on your headphones before you play them.**
1. Sixteen Candles: So, we couldn’t figure out a way to embed the entire film on the site without crashing our server, but we did choose one of the moments that still manages to give our teenage selves goosebumps and heart-melting happiness. How many of you dreamed of this moment in high school?
2. Love Actually: This is another one of those movies where it is almost impossible to pick a single scene or moment to fully capture our love for this film. We would argue it is probably one of the most watchable films of all time. But, this scene inspires everyone in the audience (including Ashley who is on record as being firmly against public dancing) to want to “jump” from their seats and join in!
3. Dirty Dancing: Don’t even stop us, y’all. Never in the history of film has there ever been a scene that more made us wish to be Jennifer Grey. Or Baby Houseman as she is obviously known in our minds for all time. You know what Johnny Castle, we will do the lift with you. In front of the entire crowd. Just even watching it again for this post made our hearts beat faster.
4. A Few Good Men: Remember that disclaimer earlier? Well, it applies now. So, put on your headphones for this one. You know what Jack, actually we *can* handle the truth. We are all about the truth here at The Dose of Reality.
5. Say Anything: Lloyd Dobbler. You were the greatest. With your classic speech about what you wanted to do with your life (not build anything, make anything, sell anything that has been built or made, to paraphrase) and your love for Diane. Nothing beats the moment with the boombox, though.
6. The Sound of Music: Who else learned the musical notes from watching the yearly viewing of this film? Surely, it could not have just been us, right? Back before their were Betamax or Blu-Rays there was the family gathering together to watch the Von Trapp family have their lives changed by Maria.
7. The Princess Bride: Sure, we could have given you the classic “As you wish” scene, but really, everyone knows that one. And every other fantastic scene from this classic film. We decided to do a bit of a mash-up, because it made us laugh.
8. Raising Arizona: Does anyone cry better than Holly Hunter? Or should we say Ed, as she is known in this hilarious movie. Watching clips from this made laugh all over again.
9. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles: From start to finish this movie produced quotable moments and classic scenes, but this one is an all-time favorite.
10. Gone With the Wind: No list would be complete without including what could be argued as the most quotable movie line of all time.
Everyone wishes they had popcorn now, right? And a jumbo box of Jujubes, too, we are sure. Tell us in the comments which one is your favorite or what movie you are shocked we did not include.