We’re back from our holiday break and ready to take on 2014! Whoo Hoo!!
Did you have a good time? Did you get snow?
One very lucky Dose Girl spent part of her holiday break taking a bite out of the Big Apple with her family. Because New York is one of Ashley’s favorite places on the planet, she spent most of Lisa’s trip there demanding text messages with updates on everything they were doing!
Needless to say, when we saw that the Monday Listicle topic for today was “10 Things New”, we knew we had to put a special New York twist on it! After all, as Lucy pointed out it is “the city so nice, they named it twice”.
So, without further ado, let us present you with our list:
Top 10 Ways You Know You Are Definitely In New York City
1. Celebrity Sightings: New York is home to many famous people. Spotting one out and about in their natural habitat is just part of the NY experience! You have to be quick, though, because the place is really crowded and if you blink you just might miss your chance! Lisa kept her eyes peeled at every opportunity, but it wasn’t until the last day of her trip that it finally paid off…
2. Times Square: Whether illuminating the naked Cowboy or the “completely authentic” Rolex watch stands on every corner, this part of Midtown Manhattan shines as brightly as the sun even at midnight! There’s a reason people all over the world watch the ball drop right here to ring in the New Year! (Spoiler alert- it’s because half the world is already packed into the space there!)
3. Broadway Show: Speaking of Times Square, nothing says New York City quite like the experience of a Broadway Show. Sitting in the plush velvet seat holding a playbill waiting for the lights to go down is an experience everyone should have at least…Once…
4. Eating: From the hot dog carts to restaurant row, there is no shortage of gastric delights in the Big Apple. Does anyone really bother counting WW points while dining their way down 8th Avenue? Forgetta-bout-it! Sure, the tables are often so close together that you can reach out and sample your neighboring table’s cheesecake, but those points don’t count, right?
5. Central Park: What better way to burn off all the calories than a stroll through Central Park? Fine, probably a run through Central Park would be better, but then you might miss the sights.
6. Wall Street: Take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange and see how the magic happens in the money world. It is like your own personal ticker tape parade. Whatever you do, though, don’t reach down and grab one of the paper slips off the floor. Apparently, that is frowned upon. Just trust us on this one!
7. Statue of Liberty: The iconic image of Lady Liberty welcoming everyone to America brought a tear to Lisa’s eye as she flew into La Guardia. It also made Lucy throw open her window shade and squeal with delight. (Note: Air Marshals tend to jump into action when they hear screaming, so try to keep down, mmkay)
8. Trump Tower: The gold letters scream 5th Avenue and wealth. And if you are lucky enough to be in front of it while “The Donald” is exiting, he may just scream at you himself (with no Air Marshal interference, of course).
9. Taxis: The big yellow cabs are everywhere. You can see them, and you can most definitely hear them. In any other city honking would be considered rude, but in New York it is just how you announce your presence in the flow of traffic. There is nothing better than hopping in a cab when you are exhausted. You don’t even have to feel guilty! Watching the meter tick up…up…up while you’re stuck in rush hour traffic makes your heart race enough to count as your cardio for the day!
10. Empire State Building: You’ve got to go to the very top and take in the view from the 102nd floor at 1250 feet. Even if you have to stand in line for forty thousand hours to do it, you won’t regret it for a minute! But don’t try to drop a penny off the top or they will politely escort you to the exit. (or so we’ve heard)
Yep. New York City fills all ten slots for The Dose Girls favorite “Ten Things New” without a doubt. We’re already trying to figure out a way to get there together for a girls’ trip that doesn’t involve trying to check Ashley in a suitcase to save on airfare. We’ll keep you posted.