Today is my husband’s birthday. It also happens to be his sister’s birthday, too, but they are not twins. Think on that one for a minute why don’t you? Kind of like one of those weird riddles from when you were a kid where Billy is the son of a doctor, but not his father’s son or some such nonsense. However, I can only be romantic toward one member of my family at a time, so my sister-in-law will have to settle for a generic Facebook greeting. Sorry Mary.
BUT, for my husband, the father of my children, the one I promised to share my life with some 12 plus years ago, I am offering up all the reasons why I love you AND only you. (I will give all the reasons why I love Ryan Gosling and Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in another post…maybe next Valentine’s Day! ;))
1. Despite my best attempts to be a totally bitchy and whiny and complaining about nothing the night that you proposed to me, you loved me enough to do it anyway. Thank you for that.
3. I love that you convinced me to wait to find out what we were having with both of our children, because those two moments shared with you, are hands down the two greatest moments I have had in my lifetime.
4. You love our children with your whole heart, and you aren’t afraid to show them that love, both physically and emotionally.
5. I love that you give them silly nicknames that they both use in regular conversation when they talk about how great you are.
6. I love that you take them places and do things with them that are really fun because when they grow up and look for a husband they will remember to find one who wants to go places with them.
7. I love that you indulge me in watching Survivor and Amazing Race and when you find out that The Bacherlorette is going to feature Emily, you immediately say that you will watch that, too.
8. I love that you when we are watching the above shows you will totally play along and talk about who is cute, both girls and guys!
9. I know that I can count on you 100% for the big stuff, no matter what.
11. I love that you own red Adidas tennis shoes and don’t care that I make fun of you for them, because as you like to tell me “French tennis players get paid a lot of money to wear these.”
12. I love that you work hard for our family.
13. I love that you use phrases like “a ha moment” when you get something because I have totally Oprah trained you.
14. You have hilarious Facebook statuses that make me laugh out loud.
15. I love that when I travel with my girlfriends, you always send me pictures of the girls on my phone, because you know it will make me smile.
16. I love that you love driving Emma to school.
17. I think it is totally fantastic to see how much passion you have for cricket, and I appreciate the fact that you don’t expect me to have the same amount of passion for it…or really any passion for it at all.
18. I love that when we are talking about cool things to do with our children, you come up with totally out of the box ideas because as you put it, “Wouldn’t it be cool if they remembered for the rest of their lives that time Dad took us out to breakfast and Mom showed up in a full princess costume to tell us we were going to (name withheld because it is a big giant secret)!” ***
19. I always appreciate the fact that you don’t ever give me a hard time for an unclean house or leftovers for dinner and you still tell me I work hard.
20. I am so glad that you are present, fully and completely with our family when you are at home.
21. You do really awesome things to surprise me, like make me videos of our children just to be nice. This is Where I Belong
***I will be not donning any sort of costume for the big reveal much to the dismay of everyone I have ever met.***